Full Name: Ulysses S. Grant [Hiram Ulysses Grant]
Profession: US President & Union General
Why Famous: Grant was educated at West Point Military Academy and fought in the Mexican-American War. He rejoined the army for the Civil War and was appointed Brigadier General, Major General then finally General-in-Chief of all Union forces by President Lincoln in 1864.
His various military victories included Vicksberg, Chattanooga and finally at Appomattox he accepted the surrender of the Confederate forces led by General Lee.
On the back of his war time successes he was elected the 18th US President in 1868 and re-elected for a second term in 1872. His presidency was marred by corruption scandals, an economic crisis and Republican infighting but he is also remembered for helping protect the rights of African Americans and eliminate slavery.
He completed his highly regarded memoirs just before his death.
- 1848-08-22 Soldier and later US President Ulysses Grant (26) marries Julia Dent
- 1874-03-21 Ulysses S. Grant's daughter Nellie marries in the White House
- 1861-09-06 General Ulysses S. Grant occupies Paducah, Kentucky
- 1861-11-07 Battle of Belmont, Missouri, first combat for Ulysses S. Grant in US Civil War
- 1862-02-06 General Ulysses S. Grant captures Fort Henry in Tennessee
- 1862-02-06 Ulysses S. Grant begins military campaign in Mississippi
- 1862-02-16 Fort Donelson is captured by General Ulysses S. Grant following the surrender of around 12,000 Confederate soldiers
- 1862-11-09 US General Ulysses S. Grant issues orders to bar Jews from serving under him
- 1862-12-17 General Ulysses S. Grant issues order #11, expelling Jews from Tennessee
- 1863-05-22 General Ulysses S. Grant begins siege on Vicksburg
- 1863-07-07 Orders barring Jews from serving under US General Ulysses S. Grant are revoked
- 1864-03-09 Ulysses S. Grant is appointed commander of Union Army
- 1864-05-04 General Ulysses S. Grant's Union Army at Potomac attacks Robert E. Lee's Confederates at Rappahannock River
- 1864-06-15 Battle for Petersburg begins as General Ulysses S. Grant assaults Confederate line
- 1864-06-16 Union General Ulysses S. Grant begin siege of Petersburg, Va
- 1864-07-31 Ulysses S. Grant is named General of Volunteers
- 1866-07-25 Ulysses S. Grant named 1st general of Army
- 1868-11-03 Ulysses Grant (R) wins US presidential election over Horatio Seymour (D)
- 1869-03-04 Ulysses Grant inaugurated as 18th US President
- 1872-11-05 Ulysses S. Grant re-elected US President
- 1874-02-12 Hawaii King David Kalakaua is 1st king to visit the US as guest of Ulysses S. Grant at 1st US state dinner at the White House
- 1879-09-20 Ulysses S. Grant and family go to SF for elaborate extended visit