Full Name: Victor Emmanuel II [Vittorio Emanuele Maria Alberto Eugenio Ferdinando Tommaso]
Profession: King of Sardinia and Italy
Why Famous: The first King of a united Italy.
Considered along with Camillo Cavour, Victor Emmanuel II and Giuseppe Mazzini, as one of founding fathers of the Kingdom of Italy.
- 1842-04-12 Sardinia king Victor Emmanuel II (22) weds queen Adelaide of Austria (20) at Palazzina di caccia of Stupinigi
- 1869-10-18 Sardinia king Victor Emmanuel II (49) weds his mistress Rosa Vercellana (36) in Italy
- 1859-06-24 Battle of Solferino, Northern Italy: a French Army under Napoleon III and Sardinian Army under Victor Emmanuel II overcame the Austrian Army under Emperor Franz Joseph I.
- 1861-02-18 King Victor Emmanuel II of Sardinia becomes first King of Italy
- 1861-03-17 Italy is unified into a single kingdom under Victor Emmanuel II following the campaigns led by Giuseppe Garibaldi
- 1870-09-20 Capture of Rome by Italian army under Victor Emmanuel II unifies Italy and ends 1,116 year reign of Papal States