Full Name: Victoria [Alexandrina Victoria]
Profession: Queen of the United Kingdom
Why Famous: Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland from 20th June 1837 until her death in 1901.
She inherited the throne at the age of 18 and became a national icon. Her reign of 63 years and seven months, which is longer than that of any other British monarch and the longest of any female monarch in history, is known as the Victorian era.
It was a period of industrial, cultural, political, scientific, and military change within the United Kingdom and was marked by a great expansion of the British Empire.
- 1840-02-10 British Queen Victoria (20) marries her cousin Albert (20) of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, later the Prince Consort at St James' Palace
- 1837-06-20 Queen Victoria at 18 ascends British throne following death of uncle King William IV. She ruled for 63 years ending in 1901
- 1837-07-13 Queen Victoria is 1st monarch to live in present Buckingham Palace
- 1838-06-28 Coronation of Queen Victoria in Westminster Abbey, London
- 1842-05-30 John Francis attempts to assassinate Queen Victoria
- 1843-04-06 William Wordsworth is appointed British Poet Laureate by Queen Victoria
- 1857-06-26 The first 62 recipients are awarded the Victoria Cross for valour in the Crimean war by Queen Victoria
- 1857-12-31 Queen Victoria chooses Ottawa as new capital of Canada
- 1858-01-25 Mendelssohn's "Wedding March" first played, at wedding of Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Victoria, to crown prince of Prussia
- 1858-08-16 Britain's Queen Victoria telegraphs US President James Buchanan
- 1861-05-13 Queen Victoria announces Britain's position of neutrality
- 1867-04-23 Queen Victoria & Napoleon III turn down plans for a channel tunnel
- 1867-05-20 Royal Albert Hall of Arts & Sciences foundation laid by Queen Victoria
- 1871-03-29 Royal Albert Hall opened by Queen Victoria in London
- 1877-01-01 England's Queen Victoria proclaimed empress of India
- 1882-03-02 Queen Victoria narrowly escapes assassination when Roderick Maclean shoots at her while boarding a train in Windsor.
- 1882-05-06 Epping Forest, England, dedicated by Queen Victoria
- 1882-08-14 Queen Victoria recieves Zulu chief Cetewayo
- 1886-09-06 Queen Victoria establishes Distinguished Service Order (DSO)
- 1887-06-21 Britain celebrates golden jubilee of Queen Victoria
- 1888-09-06 Queen Victoria grants William Mackinnon's Imperial British East Africa Company political & commercial rights
- 1889-10-29 Queen Victoria grants Cecil Rhodes rights to Zambezia
- 1896-09-22 Queen Victoria surpasses her grandfather King George III as the longest reigning monarch in British history.
- 1899-04-18 The St. Andrew's Ambulance Association is granted a Royal Charter by Queen Victoria.
- 1899-04-24 Transvaal British Uitlanders ask Queen Victoria for aid
- 1901-01-22 After 63 years Britain stops sale of Queen Victoria postage stamps series & begins King Edward VII series
- 1901-02-02 Queen Victoria's funeral takes place in St. George's Chapel
- 2015-09-09 Queen Elizabeth II becomes Great Britain's longest-reigning monarch at 63 years and seven months, beating the previous record set by her great-great-grandmother, Queen Victoria