Full Name: Vladimir Lenin [Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov]
Profession: Marxist Revolutionary and Russian Leader
Why Famous: Played a leading role in the October Revolution of 1917, overthrowing the Provisional Government and establishing a one-party state under the new Communist Party that became the Soviet Union.
Vladimir Lenin became interested in Marxism while at university and was later exiled to Siberia for sedition. After travelling through Europe Lenin returned to Russia to join the 1917 Russian Revolution, writing his April Theses for the Bolshevik Party on the way.
In power, Lenin began reforms to shift crown and private estates into soviet worker's control. He consolidated power through imposing censorship and authorizing the "Red Terror".
Ideologically a Marxist, his political theories are known as Leninism.
On his death in 1924, Saint Petersburg was renamed Leningrad in his honor and his body was embalmed and placed on display in a Mausoleum in Red Square.
- 1898-07-10 Russian revolutionary Vladimir Ilyich Lenin marries fellow revolutionary Nadezhda "Nadya" Krupskaya in Shushenskoye.
- 1911-11-20 The funeral of Paul and Laura (daughter of Karl Marx) Lafargue in Paris is attended by Lenin; the two socialists died in a suicide pact in the belief that their political usefulness was at an end
- 1916-07-02 Lenin says Imperialism is caused by capitalism
- 1917-04-03 Lenin arrives in Petrograd from Switzerland [NS=April 16]
- 1917-04-16 [OS Apr 3] Lenin arrives back from exile in Russia at Finland Station, Petrograd to join the Russian Revolution
- 1917-04-16 [OS Apr 4] Lenin issues his radical "April Theses" calling for Soviets to take power during Russian Revolution
- 1917-10-23 Lenin speaks against Kamenev, Kollontai, Stalin & Trotsky
- 1917-11-07 [OS Oct 25] October Revolution in Russia; Lenin and the Bolsheviks seize power, capture the Winter Palace and overthrow the Provisional Government
- 1917-11-08 People's Commissars gives authority to Lenin, Trotsky & Stalin during October Revolution
- 1917-11-10 New bolshevik government under Lenin suspends freedom of press (temporary) during October Revolution
- 1917-11-17 Lenin defends "temporary" removal of freedom of the press
- 1917-11-21 Maxim Gorky calls Vladimir Lenin a blind fanatic/unthinking adventurer
- 1917-12-18 Soviet regiment (Stalin/Lenin) declares Finland Independent
- 1917-12-20 Cheka formed - Soviet state security force and forerunner to the KGB, under Felix Dzerzhinsky after decree by Lenin
- 1918-08-30 Fanya Kaplan attempts but fails to assassinate Lenin, new leader of Soviet Russia
- 1919-03-23 8th Congress of the Russian Communist Party re-establishes a five-member Politburo which becomes the center of political power in the Soviet Union. It's original members were Vladimir Lenin, Leon Trotsky, Joseph Stalin, Lev Kamenev and Nikolai Krestinsky.
- 1921-03-17 Lenin proclaims New Economic Politics
- 1922-04-03 Joseph Stalin appointed General Secretary of the Russian Communist Party by Vladimir Lenin
- 1922-05-26 Lenin suffers a stroke
- 1922-12-25 -Dec 26] Lenin dictates his "Political testament"
- 1923-01-04 Lenin's "Political Testament" calls for removal of Stalin
- 1923-03-04 Lenin's last article in Pravda (about Soviet bureaucracy)
- 1923-03-15 Lenin is hit with his 3rd stroke
- 1924-01-27 Lenin placed in Mausoleum in Red Square, Moscow
- 1926-10-18 Frankfurter Zeitung publishes Lenin's political testament
- 1956-06-30 Lenin's politics testament (1923) published in Moscow
- 1993-10-05 Last honor guard at Lenin's mausoleum
- 1993-11-16 Russian President Yeltsin shuts Lenin museum