Full Name: W.E.B. Du Bois
Profession: Civil Rights Activist
Why Famous: Rose to national prominence as the leader of the Niagara Movement, a group of African-American activists who wanted equal rights for blacks.
He protested strongly against lynching, Jim Crow laws and discrimination in education and employment.
- 1951-02-27 Activist W.E.B. Du Bois (83) weds award-winning author Shirley Graham (54) in Queens, New York
- 1910-11-01 First issue of "Crisis" published by editor W.E.B. Du Bois
- 1919-02-19 Pan-African Congress, organized by W.E.B. Du Bois (Paris)
- 1934-06-26 W.E.B. Du Bois resigns position at NAACP
- 1943-06-22 W.E.B. Du Bois becomes 1st Black member of National Institute of Letters
- "A little less complaint and whining, and a little more dogged work and manly striving, would do us more credit than a thousand civil rights bills." - Civil Rights
- "The power of the ballot we need in sheer defense, else what shall save us from a second slavery?" - Democracy, Slavery
- "The cost of liberty is less than the price of repression." - Liberty, Repression