Full Name: William McKinley
Profession: 25th US President
Political Party: Republican
Political Titles: Governor of Ohio
Why Famous: The 25th President of the United States, serving from March 4, 1897, until his assassination in September 1901, six months into his second term.
He led the nation to victory in the Spanish–American War, raised protective tariffs to promote American industry, and maintained the nation on the gold standard in a rejection of inflationary proposals.
- 1871-01-25 US President William McKinley (27) weds Ida Saxton (23) at the First Presbyterian Church in Canton
- 1896-11-03 William McKinley (R) defeats William Jennings Bryan (D) for president
- 1897-03-04 William McKinley inaugurated as 25th president of USA
- 1900-06-19 Republican Party nominates President William McKinley for re-election, but chooses a new candidate for Vice-President, Theodore Roosevelt
- 1900-11-06 Republican US President William McKinley and his Vice President, Theodore Roosevelt, defeat Democrat William Jennings Bryan
- 1901-03-04 William McKinley inaugurated for 2nd term as US president; Theodore |Roosevelt serves as Vice President
- 1901-09-06 US President William McKinley is shot by Leon Czolgosz, an anarchist, while visiting the Pan-American Exposition in New York