Full Name: William Tecumseh Sherman
Profession: Union General
Why Famous: Served as a General in the Union Army during the American Civil War (1861–65), for which he received recognition for his outstanding command of military strategy as well as criticism for the harshness of the "scorched earth" policies that he implemented in conducting total war against the Confederate States.
- 1862-12-29 Battle of Chichasaw Bayou: confederate armies defeat General William T. Sherman
- 1863-04-30 -5/1] Battle of Snyder's Bluff, Virginia (part of the Vicksburg Campaign of the American Civil War): General Sherman beaten by Confederate forces
- 1864-01-14 General Sherman begins his march to the South
- 1864-05-06 Union Army General Sherman begins advance to Atlanta Georgia during the Atlanta Campaign (US Civil War)
- 1864-09-02 Union General William T Sherman captures and burns Atlanta during Savannah Campaign (US Civil War)
- 1864-11-15 Union Major General Sherman leaves Atlanta on his "March to the Sea"
- 1864-12-10 General Sherman's armies reach Savannah & 12 day siege begins
- 1864-12-21 General Sherman conquers Savannah, Georgia
- 1865-02-01 General Sherman's march through South Carolina begins
- 1865-03-11 General William T. Sherman's Union forces occupies Fayetteville, NC
- 1865-03-23 General Sherman/Cox' troops reach Goldsboro NC
- 1865-04-18 Confederate Gen Johnson surrendered to General William T. Sherman in North Carolina
- 1871-05-17 Indian fighter General William T. Sherman escapes from Comanches in an ambulance