Full Name: Willy Brandt [Herbert Ernst Karl Frahm]
Profession: Chancellor of West Germany
Why Famous: Leader of the Social Democratic Party of Germany (SPD) from 1964 to 1987 and Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany (West Germany) from 1969 to 1974.
Brandt was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1971 for his efforts to strengthen cooperation in western Europe through the EEC and to achieve reconciliation between West Germany and the countries of Eastern Europe.
- 1957-10-03 Willy Brandt elected mayor of West Berlin
- 1969-10-21 Willy Brandt elected chancellor of West Germany
- 1971-09-16 West German chancellor Willy Brandt meets with Soviet leader Leonid Brezhnev
- 1971-10-20 West German Chancellor Willy Brandt is awarded Nobel Peace Prize
- 1972-06-07 West German Chancellor Willy Brandt visits Israel
- 1972-11-19 Willy Brandts SPD wins West German election
- 1972-12-14 Willy Brandt re-elected West German chancellor
- 1973-12-11 West German chancellor Willy Brandt normalizes trade with Czechoslovakia
- 1974-04-25 Gunther Guillaume, an aide to West German Chancellor Willy Brandt, found to be a spy
- 1974-05-06 West German Chancellor Willy Brandt resigns
- 1976-11-26 Willy Brandt elected chairman of Socialist International
- 1987-03-23 West Germany SPD chairman Willy Brandt resigns