Full Name: Winston Churchill [Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill]
Profession: Soldier, Author and British Prime Minister
Why Famous: Led Britain and the allies to victory against the axis powers as British Prime Minister during World War II.
Famous for his rallying war time speeches including his this was their finest hour speech in 1940. Winner of the Nobel prize for Literature he was also the first honorary citizen of the United States.
Churchill also fought in the Boer War and World War 1. As first Lord of the Admiralty in WW1, he was blamed by many for the Dardanelles campaign.
Humble Beginnings of Churchill, the Political Giant
Volunteers Help Defeat General Strike
'Hitler Will Have to Break Us or Lose the War'
The Taming of Winston Churchill
- 1908-09-12 Politician Winston Churchill marries Clementine Hozier
- 1899-10-14 Morning Post reporter Winston Churchill departs to South Africa
- 1899-10-30 British Morning Post reporter Winston Churchill reaches Capetown
- 1899-11-15 Morning Post reporter Winston Churchill captured by Boers in Natal
- 1901-02-18 Winston Churchill makes his maiden speech in the British House of Commons.
- 1914-07-26 First Lord of the Admiralty (British Minister of Navy) Winston Churchill orders British fleet to remain
- 1914-07-28 First Lord of the Admiralty Winston Churchill orders British Grand Fleet to Scapa Flow
- 1921-02-12 Winston Churchill becomes British Minister of Colonies
- 1934-11-28 Winston Churchill tells British Prime Minister Stanley Baldwin not to under estimate German air power
- 1938-09-21 Winston Churchill condemns Hitler's annexation of Czechoslovakia
- 1939-09-14 First Lord of the Admiralty Winston Churchill visits Scapa Flow, Orkney
- 1939-10-01 Winston Churchill calls Russia a "riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma"
- 1939-10-30 German U boat fails on attack of English battleship Nelson with Winston Churchill, Dudley Pound & Charles Forbes aboard
- 1940-05-10 Winston Churchill succeeds Neville Chamberlain as British Prime Minister
- 1940-05-13 Winston Churchill says I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears & sweat
- 1940-05-16 British Premier Winston Churchill returns to London from Paris
- 1940-05-22 UK Premier Winston Churchill flies to Paris to decide with General Maxime Weygand a strategy to save the city
- 1940-05-31 Winston Churchill flies to Paris to meet with French Marshal Philippe Pétain who announces he is willing to make a separate peace with Germany
- 1940-06-04 Winston Churchill says "We shall fight on the seas & oceans"
- 1940-06-09 General Charles de Gaulle's 1st meeting with Winston Churchill
- 1940-06-11 British Premier Winston Churchill flies to Orleans
- 1940-06-18 Winston Churchill's "this was their finest hour" speech urging perseverance during Battle of Britain delivered to British House of Commons
- 1940-07-02 British PM Churchill meets Major General Bernard Montgomery
- 1940-08-20 British PM Churchill says of Royal Air Force, "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few"
- 1940-09-15 PM Winston Churchill visits 11 Fighter Group, RAF
- 1941-07-19 British PM Winston Churchill launched his "V for Victory" campaign
- 1941-08-04 Winston Churchill departs on Prince of Wales to US
- 1941-08-09 Winston Churchill reaches Newfoundland for talks with FDR
- 1941-08-14 US President Franklin Roosevelt and British Prime Minister Winston Churchill issue the joint declaration that later becomes known as the Atlantic Charter
- 1941-08-30 Winston Churchill approves a nuclear programme (Tube Alloys), first national leader to do so
- 1941-10-25 Winston Churchill routes "Forces South" to SE Asia
- 1941-12-14 Premier Winston Churchill travels to US on board HMS Duke of York
- 1941-12-22 Winston Churchill arrives in Washington, D.C. for a wartime conference
- 1941-12-26 Winston Churchill becomes first British Prime Minister to address a joint meeting of the US Congress, warning that Axis would "stop at nothing"
- 1941-12-30 Winston Churchill addresses Canadian parliament
- 1942-06-25 British premier Winston Churchill travels from US to London
- 1942-08-04 British premier Winston Churchill arrives in Cairo
- 1942-08-12 British premier Winston Churchill arrives in Moscow, meets Stalin
- 1942-08-16 British Premier Winston Churchill travels back to Cairo from Moscow
- 1942-08-23 British Premier Winston Churchill flies back to London from Cairo
- 1943-01-13 British premier Winston Churchill arrives in Casablanca
- 1943-01-14 World War II: Franklin D. Roosevelt travels from Miami to Morocco to meet with Winston Churchill, becoming the first American president to travel by airplane
- 1943-01-14 World War II: Casablanca Conference begins between Winston Churchill and Franklin D. Roosevelt
- 1943-02-16 British premier Winston Churchill contracts pneumonia
- 1943-05-12 British premier Winston Churchill arrives in USA
- 1943-08-04 British premier Winston Churchill travels on the Queen Mary to Canada
- 1943-12-04 -Dec 6] 2nd conference of Cairo: FDR, Winston Churchill & Turkish President İsmet İnönü
- 1944-07-21 British premier Winston Churchill flies to France, meets Montgomery
- 1944-08-11 British premier Winston Churchill arrives in Italy
- 1944-08-14 British premier Winston Churchill arrives at Corsica
- 1944-09-05 British premier Winston Churchill travels to Scotland
- 1944-09-17 British Premier Winston Churchill travels to US
- 1944-10-09 British Prime Minister Winston Churchill arrives in Russia for talks with Stalin
- 1944-10-19 British Prime Minister Winston Churchill flies back to London from Moscow
- 1945-01-03 British Premier Winston Churchill visits France
- 1945-02-05 British premier Winston Churchill arrives in Yalta, the Crimea
- 1945-03-03 Winston Churchill visits Field Marshal Montgomery's headquarters
- 1945-03-26 British premier Winston Churchill looks over at the Rhine (near Ginsberg)
- 1945-03-27 British premier Winston Churchill sails to eastern banks of Rhine
- 1945-07-26 Winston Churchill resigns as Britain's Prime Minister after election defeat
- 1945-08-02 Potsdam Conference between Joseph Stalin, Harry Truman and Winston Churchill ends
- 1946-03-05 Winston Churchill's "Iron Curtain" speech in Fulton, Missouri, popularizes the term and draws attention to the division of Europe
- 1946-05-13 Winston Churchill welcomed in Rotterdam
- 1948-05-10 Winston Churchill visits The Hague
- 1951-10-26 Winston Churchill re-elected British Prime Minister at the age of 86
- 1952-01-05 British Prime Minister Winston Churchill makes an official visit to the US
- 1952-02-26 PM Winston Churchill announces Britain has its own atomic bomb
- 1953-04-24 Winston Churchill knighted by Queen Elizabeth II
- 1953-05-11 Winston Churchill criticizes US Secretary of State John Foster Dulles' domino theory
- 1953-10-09 British Prime Minister Winston Churchill aproves Guyanese Constitution
- 1955-04-05 Anthony Eden succeeds Winston Churchill as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
- 1963-04-09 Winston Churchill becomes 1st honorary US citizen
- 1965-01-30 State funeral of Winston Churchill at St Paul's Cathedral in London. Largest ever state funeral.