Full Name: Woodrow Wilson
Profession: 28th US President
Political Party: Democratic
Political Titles: Governor of New Jersey
Why Famous: A progressive politician Woodrow Wilson became President of Princeton University in 1902, Governor of New Jersey in 1910 and was nominated for President by the Democratic Party in 1912.
Wilson served two terms; the first was marked by the passing of significant pieces of legislation: the Underwood Act, the Federal Reserve Act and a Child Labour Law.
In 1917 he changed his earlier stance on entering the war and asked the Senate to declare war on Germany in the name of Democracy, taking the country into WWI.
After the war he was instrumental in negotiating the Treaty of Versailles and establishing the League of Nations. Wilson had first put forward the idea of a League as part of his fourteen points speech in a senate address.
In 1919 he was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.
- 1885-06-24 28th US President Woodrow Wilson (28) weds Presbyterian minister's daughter Ellen Louise Axson (25) in Savannah, Georgia
- 1915-12-10 28th US President Woodrow Wilson marries 2nd wife Edith Galt, a descendant of native American Pocahontas
- 1912-11-05 Woodrow Wilson (D) defeats Theodore Roosevelt (Prog) & President William H. Taft (R)
- 1913-03-04 Woodrow Wilson inaugurated as 28th US President
- 1913-03-15 1st US presidential press conference (Woodrow Wilson)
- 1913-04-10 President Woodrow Wilson throws out 1st ball, Senators beat Yankees 2-1
- 1913-10-03 US Federal income tax signed into law (at 1%) by President Woodrow Wilson
- 1913-11-01 Less than a week after the US non-intervention promise, President Woodrow Wilson demands that Mexican dictator Huerta resigns
- 1913-12-23 US President Woodrow Wilson signs Federal Reserve Act into law
- 1914-04-25 US President Woodrow Wilson is persuaded by Argentina, Brazil, and Chile to accept mediation in the conflict with Mexico
- 1914-05-09 US President Woodrow Wilson proclaims Mother's Day
- 1914-08-18 US President Woodrow Wilson issues "Proclamation of Neutrality"
- 1915-07-08 The Germans reply to US President Woodrow Wilson's second Lusitania note by saying that Americans may sail on clearly marked neutral ships, but Germany does not deal with Wilson's other demands
- 1915-10-09 Woodrow Wilson becomes first US President to attend a World Series game
- 1916-06-14 Democratic Convention convenes in St Louis; Woodrow Wilson campaigns on the slogan "he kept out of the war"
- 1916-11-07 Woodrow Wilson (D) re-elected US President
- 1917-03-05 US President Woodrow Wilson is inaugurated for a second term
- 1918-12-04 US President Woodrow Wilson sails for Versailles Peace Conference in France, 1st President to travel outside US while in office
- 1919-03-25 Woodrow Wilson's dream of a League of Nations becomes a reality after the League Covenant is adopted at the Paris Peace Conference
- 1919-07-08 US President Woodrow Wilson returns to NYC from Versailles Peace Conference
- 1919-07-10 US President Woodrow Wilson personally delivers Treaty of Versailles to Senate
- 1919-09-03 President Woodrow Wilson set out on a tour of the USA to rouse public opinion behind the Treaty of Versailles and the League of Nations
- 1919-09-25 US president Woodrow Wilson suffers a breakdown in Colorado, his health never recovers
- 1919-10-02 US President Woodrow Wilson has a stroke, leaving him partially paralyzed
- 1919-10-26 US President Woodrow Wilson's veto of Prohibition Enforcement Bill is overridden
- 1919-10-28 Volstead Act passed by US Congress, establishing prohibition, despite President Woodrow Wilson's veto
- 1919-12-10 Nobel peace prize awarded to US President Woodrow Wilson