Full Name: Xi Jinping
Profession: Paramount Leader of China
Why Famous: General Secretary of the Communist Party of China from 2012 and President of the People's Republic of China from 2013.
Domestically, Xi has introduced far-ranging measures to enforce party discipline and to ensure internal unity, as well as initiating an unprecedented campaign against corruption that saw the high-profile arrests of General Xu Caihou and Zhou Yongkang.
Xi has also significantly centralized institutional power by taking on a wide range of leadership positions.
In foreign affairs he has championed a more assertive foreign policy, in particular China's claims to the bulk of the South China Sea.
- 2013-03-14 Xi Jinping is named as the new President of the People's Republic of China
- 2015-09-22 Chinese President Xi Jinping arrives in Seattle to start his first state visit to the US
- 2017-04-06 Chinese President Xi Jinping arrives in Florida for talks with US President Donald Trump
- 2017-06-28 China’s president, Xi Jinping begins 3 day trip to Hong Kong to mark 20 years since the territory handed back to China
- 2017-07-30 China's President Xi Jinping heads 12,000 troop parade at Zhurihe training base, Inner Mongolia marking 90 years since founding of the People's Liberation Army