Full Name: Yasser Arafat [Mohammed Yasser Abdel Rahman Abdel Raouf Arafat al-Qudwa]
Profession: Palestinian Leader
Why Famous: Leader of the Palestine Liberation Organisation and for many years branded a terrorist, he received the 1994 Nobel Peace Prize for working for peace with Israeli leaders.
- 1990-07-17 Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat (56) weds Suha Tawil (27)
- 1969-02-04 The Palestine National Congress appoints Yasser Arafat chairman of the PLO
- 1969-02-07 Al-Fatah-leader Yasser Arafat becomes president of PLO
- 1975-11-10 PLO leader Yasser Arafat addresses UN in NYC
- 1982-08-30 PLO leader Yasser Arafat leaves Beirut
- 1982-09-15 Pope John Paul II receives PLO leader Yasser Arafat
- 1983-12-20 PLO chairman Yasser Arafat & 4,000 loyalists evacuate Lebanon
- 1983-12-22 Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak meets with PLO leader Yasser Arafat
- 1994-02-09 Israeli minister Shimon Perez signs accord with PLO's Yasser Arafat
- 1994-06-26 PLO leader Yasser Arafat returns to Gaza after 27 years
- 1994-10-14 Nobel Peace Prize awarded to Yasser Arafat, Yitzhak Rabin and Shimon Peres
- 1994-12-10 Nobel Peace Prize presented to Yitzhak Rabin, Shimon Peres and Yasser Arafat
- 1997-01-19 Yasser Arafat returns to Hebron after more than 30 years and joins celebrations over the handover of the last Israeli-controlled West Bank city.
- 1998-08-11 Palestine Liberation Organisation and Palestinian National Authority president, Yasser Arafat, arrives in Cape Town on his first state visit to South Africa at the invitation of President Nelson Mandela
- 1998-10-23 Israeli-Palestinian Conflict: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Palestinian Chairman Yasser Arafat reach a "land for peace" agreement.
- 2004-11-11 Yasser Arafat's death through unidentified causes confirmed by Palestine Liberation Organization, Mahmoud Abbas elected PLO chairman minutes later.
- 2005-01-09 Elections are held to replace Yasser Arafat as head of the Palestine Liberation Organization. He is succeeded by Rawhi Fattouh.