Full Name: Zayn Malik [Zain Malik]
Why Famous: Zayn Malik gained international fame as one member of the Irish-British boy band One Direction. The band was formed during the British talent show "The X Factor", with five members, Harry Styles, Niall Horan, Liam Payne and Louis Tomlinson, including Malik.
One Direction were later signed by Simon Cowell. They released their debut single in September 2001 "What Makes You Beautiful", followed by their debut album "Up All Night" a couple of months later. "Up All Night" sold 4.5 million copies and debuted at No. 1 on the US Billboard 200.
A 2nd album "Take Me Home" appeared in 2012. More albums followed in 2013, 2014 and 2015.
Malik left the band in 2015 and signed a solo record deal with RCA Records in July of that year. His first single as a solo artist "Pillowtalk" was released in January 2016 and went to No. 1 in both the UK and US singles charts.
His album "Mind of Mine" also debuted at No. 1 in many countries, including the US where he became the 1st British solo artist to go to the top of the charts with his debut album.
- 2011-11-18 "The X Factor" group One Direction release their debut album "Up All Night" in Ireland and the UK
- 2013-08-20 "One Direction: This Is Us" 3D concert film of One Direction directed by Morgan Spurlock premieres in London
- 2014-11-23 41st American Music Awards: One Direction, Sam Smith and Katy Perry win
- 2015-03-25 British musician Zayn Malik announces he is leaving the band One Direction
- 2016-03-25 Zayn's [Zayn Malik] solo debut album "Mind of Mine" is released, 1st British male artist to debut at No. 1 in US