War: American Civil War - American Indian Wars - American Revolutionary War - Boer Wars - Cold War - Falklands War - Greek War of Independence - Gulf War - Korean War - Kosovo War - New Zealand Wars - Spanish Civil War - Terrorism - Vietnam War - War of the Pacific - Wars of the Roses - Weapons - World War One - World War Two
Related Topics: War Crimes
Events 701 - 729 of 729
- 2001-11-13 War on Terrorism: In the first such act since World War II, US President George W. Bush signs an executive order allowing military tribunals against foreigners suspected of connections to terrorist acts or planned acts on the United States.
- 2001-11-14 War in Afghanistan: Afghan Northern Alliance fighters takeover the capital Kabul.
- 2002-01-18 Sierra Leone Civil War was finally declared over.
2002-02-12 The trial of former President of Federal Republic of Yugoslavia Slobodan Milošević begins at the United Nations war crimes tribunal in The Hague. He eventually dies four years later before its conclusion.
- 2002-07-01 The International Criminal Court is established to prosecute individuals for genocide, crimes against humanity, war crimes, and the crime of aggression.
- 2003-02-10 France and Belgium break the NATO procedure of silent approval concerning the timing of protective measures for Turkey in case of a possible war with Iraq.
- 2003-02-15 An estimated 6-11 million people around the world take to the streets to protest against war with Iraq
- 2003-03-14 Start of weekend of protests against war in Iraq that are attended by millions
- 2003-03-17 British Cabinet Minister Robin Cook, resigns over government plans for the war with Iraq.
- 2003-11-12 Iraq war: In Nasiriya, Iraq, at least 23 people, among them the first Italian casualties of the 2003 Iraq war are killed in a suicide bomb attack on an Italian police base.
- 2004-03-02 War in Iraq: Al Qaeda carries out the Ashoura Massacre in Iraq, killing 170 and wounding over 500.
- 2004-05-09 Chechen president Akhmad Kadyrov is killed in a land mine bomb blast under a VIP stage during a World War II memorial victory parade in Grozny, Chechnya.
- 2004-05-29 The World War II Memorial is dedicated in Washington, D.C.
- 2004-09-21 The Communist Party of India (Marxist-Leninist) People's War and the Maoist Communist Centre of India merge to form the Communist Party of India (Maoist).
- 2004-11-07 War in Iraq: The interim government of Iraq calls for a 60-day "state of emergency" as U.S. forces storm the insurgent stronghold of Fallujah.
- 2004-11-08 War in Iraq: More than 10,000 U.S. troops and a small number of Iraqi army units participate in a siege on the insurgent stronghold of Fallujah.
- 2004-11-11 New Zealand Tomb of the Unknown Warrior dedicated at the National War Memorial, Wellington.
- 2005-05-08 The new Canadian War Museum opens, in commemoration of the 60th anniversary of V-E Day.
- 2005-10-30 The rebuilt Dresden Frauenkirche (destroyed in the firebombing of Dresden during World War II) is reconsecrated after a thirteen-year rebuilding project.
- 2005-12-08 Ante Gotovina, Croatian army general accused of war crimes, is captured in the Playa de las Américas, Tenerife by the Spanish police.
- 2005-12-23 Chad declares a state of war against Sudan following a December 18 attack on Adré, which left about 100 people dead.
- 2005-12-28 A U.S. immigration judge orders John Demjanjuk deported to Ukraine for crimes against humanity committed during World War II.
- 2006-11-11 The New Zealand war memorial monument was unveiled by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II in London, United Kingdom, commemorating the loss of soldiers from the New Zealand Army and the British Army.
- 2007-04-27 Estonian authorities remove the Bronze Soldier, a Soviet Red Army war memorial in Tallinn, amid political controversy with Russia.
- 2008-02-19 Toshiba announces its formal recall of its HD DVD video formatting, ending the format war between it and Sony's Blu-Ray Disc
- 2008-07-10 Former Macedonian Interior Minister Ljube Boškoski is acquitted of all charges by a UN Tribunal accusing him of war crimes.
- 2008-07-21 Bosnian-Serb war criminal Radovan Karadžić is arrested in Serbia and is indicted by the UN's ICTY tribunal.
- 2008-08-08 Georgian invasion into South Ossetia. Beginning of five-day war between Georgia and Russia.