- 41 Claudius succeeds his nephew Caligula as Roman Emperor after the later's assassination by officers of the Praetorian Guard
- 1857 University of Calcutta founded as the first full-fledged university in South Asia
- 1899 Rubber heel for boots or shoes patented by American Humphrey O'Sullivan
- 1908 Lieutenant General Robert Baden-Powell publishes "Scouting for Boys" as a manual for self-instruction in outdoor skills and self-improvement. The book becomes the inspiration for the Scout Movement.
- 1984 Apple Computer Inc unveils its revolutionary Macintosh personal computer
- 2018 Former US Olympic team doctor Larry Nassar found guilty of molesting over 150 girls, sentenced up to 175 years in prison
1st canned beer, "Krueger's Cream Ale," is sold by American company Krueger Brewing Co.
On this day in 1935
Japanese Sgt. Shoichi Yokoi is found hiding in a Guam jungle, where he had been since the end of World War II.
On this day in 1972