- 180 6 inhabitants of Carthage, North Africa executed for being Christians. Earliest record of Christianity in this part of the world.
- 1203 Siege of Constantinople begins during the fourth Crusade, Crusaders aboad a Venetian fleet attack the city
- 1762 Catherine II becomes tsarina of Russia following the murder of Peter III
- 1918 The Romanov royal family and several of their retainers are executed by a Bolshevik firing squad in the basement of Ipatiev House, in Yekaterinburg, Siberia
- 1936 Spanish generals Francisco Franco and Emilio Mola lead a right-wing uprising, starting the Spanish Civil War
- 1945 Potsdam Conference (Truman, Stalin, Churchill) holds 1st meeting
- 2014 Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 is shot down over Eastern Ukraine by a Buk surface-to-air missile launched from pro-Russian separatist-controlled territory, killing all 283 passengers and 15 crew on board
George Frideric Handel's "Water Music" premieres on the river Thames in London
On this day in 1717
"Variety" publishes famous headline "Sticks Nix Hick Pix"
On this day in 1935