- 1964-06-04 Maldives adopts constitution
- 1965-07-26 Republic of Maldives gains independence from Britain (National Day)
- 1968-11-11 Maldives (in Indian Ocean) becomes a republic
- 1978-11-11 Maumoon Abdul Gayoom becomes president of Maldives
- 2003-09-20 Maldives civil unrest: the death of prisoner Hassan Evan Naseem sparks a day of rioting in Malé
- 2004-08-13 Black Friday crackdown by NSS on a peaceful protest in the capital city of Maldives, Malé.
2004-12-26 9.3 magnitude earthquake creates a tsunami causing devastation in Sri Lanka, India, Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia, the Maldives and edges of the Indian Ocean, killing 230,000 people
- 1939-12-29 Maumoon Abdul Gayoom, Maldivian politician & Islamic scholar, born in Malé, Maldives