- Apr 29 Flemish woman introduces practice of starching linen into England
- Jun 12 King Edward VI accepts Archbishop Cranmer's "42 Articles"
- Jun 26 Christ's Hospital in England granted a charter
- Jul 9 Battle at Sievershausen Solingen: van Saksen beats Alcibiades
- Jul 10 Lady Jane Grey, daughter of the Duke of Suffolk, proclaimed Queen of England, succeeds Edward VI, who proclaimed his half-sisters illegitimate. Reigns for nine days.
- Jul 19 15-year-old Lady Jane Grey deposed as England's Queen after 9 days
- Jul 20 John Dudley, Lord President of the Council under Edward VI, captured in Cambridge
- Aug 12 Pope Julius III orders confiscation & burning of Jewish Talmud
- Aug 13 Michael Servetus is arrested by John Calvin in Geneva as a heretic.
- Aug 23 Bishop Stephen Gardiner appointed English Lord Chancellor
More Historical Events
- Feb 4 Caspar Othmayr, composer, dies at 37
- Feb 19 Erasmus Reinhold, German mathematician (calculated planetary table), dies at 41
- Feb 25 Hirate Masahide, Japanese diplomat and tutor of Oda Nobunaga (suicide) (b. 1492)
- Apr 9 Francois Rabelais, French author (Gargantua, Pantagruel), dies at 49
- Jul 6 Edward VI Tudor, King of England (1547-53), dies at 15
More Famous Deaths