- Jan 7 Francis Bacon becomes Lord Chancellor of England
- May 15 German astronomer Johannes Kepler discovers the third of his three planetary laws his "harmonics law"
- May 23 Second Defenestration of Prague: Two Catholic Lords Regent and their secretary are thrown out of a window and amazingly are not seriously injured by the 70 foot (21m) fall. Triggers the Thirty Years' War.
- Jul 16 Captain John Gilbert patents 1st dredger in Britain
- Jul 30 Prince Maurits' troops pull into Utrecht
- Sep 4 "Rodi" avalanche destroys Plurs, Switzerland, 1,500 killed
- Oct 29 English adventurer, writer and courtier Walter Raleigh is beheaded for allegedly conspiring against King James I of England
- Dec 11 The Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth and the Tsardom of Russia agree to the Truce of Deulino ending the Polish–Muscovite War (1605–1618)
- Jan 1 Bartolomé Esteban Murillo, Spanish Baroque artist (The Vision of St. Anthony), born in Seville, Spain (d. 1682) [baptizism date]
- Jan 14 Jan Six, Dutch mayor of Amsterdam, born in Amsterdam, Netherlands (d. 1700)
- Apr 2 Francesco Maria Grimaldi, Italian mathematician and physicist (light defraction), born in Bologna, Italy (d. 1663)
- Apr 13 Roger de Rabutin, Comte de Bussy, French writer, born in Epiry, France (d. 1693)
- Sep 9 Joan Cererols, Catalan musician, composer and monk, born in Martorell (d. 1680)
More Famous Birthdays
- James I and VI
King of Great Britain