- Apr 15 Pocotaligo Massacre triggers the start of the Yamasee War in colonial South Carolina.
- Apr 20 Nicholas Rowe's play "The Tragedy of Lady Jane Grey" premieres in London
- Apr 29 English Astronomer John Flamsteed observes Uranus for 6th time
- May 1 Prussia declares war on Sweden
- May 3 Edmond Halley observes total eclipse phenomenon "Baily's Beads"
- Jul 29 10 Spanish treasure galleons sunk off Florida coast by a hurricane
- Jul 30 Spanish gold and silver fleet disappears off St Lucie, Florida
- Aug 1 First Doggett's Coat and Badge race (Waterman's race) held on Thames River (London Bridge to Chelsea)
- Sep 1 King Louis XIV of France dies after a reign of 72 years—the longest of any major European monarch.
- Sep 6 Pro-James III-uprising in Scotland
More Historical Events
10 Spanish treasure galleons sunk off Florida coast by a hurricane
On July 29, 1715
- Jan 10 Christian August Crusius, German philosopher and theologian, born in Leuna, Germany (d. 1775)
- Jan 12 Jacques Duphly, French composer and harpsichordist, born in Rouen (d. 1789)
- Jan 26 Claude Helvetius, philosopher, born in Paris, France
- Jan 27 Vaclav Kalous [Simon à Scto Bartholomaeo], Czech composer, born in Solnice (d. 1786)
- Jan 29 Georg Christoph Wagenseil, Austrian (court) composer/pianist
More Famous Birthdays
First English patent granted to an American, for processing corn
On November 25, 1715