- Feb 9 British Parliament declares Massachusetts colony is in rebellion
- Mar 23 Patrick Henry proclaims "Give me liberty or give me death" in speech in favour of Virginian troops joining US Revolutionary war
- Apr 18 Paul Revere and William Dawes ride from Charleston to Lexington warning the "regulars are coming!"
- Apr 19 American Revolution begins - Lexington Common, shot "heard round the world"
- May 10 Second Continental Congress convenes in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and issues paper currency for 1st time
- Jun 15 George Washington appointed commander-in-chief of the Continental Army, the day after Congress establishes the force
- Dec 31 Battle of Quebec in American Revolutionary War; Americans defeated trying to take British stronghold
First official US flag raised (Grand Union Flag) aboard naval vessel USS Alfred
On December 3, 1775
- Jan 8 John Baskerville, English printer/type designer, dies at 68
- Jan 10 Jemeljan Pugatshov, Russian kosak leader/"Tsar Peter III", dies
- Jan 11 Yemelyan Pugachov, Don Cossack rebel, executed by tsarist Russia
- Jan 11 Prithvi Narayan Shah, began the unification of modern Nepal (b. 1723)
- Jan 15 Giovanni Battista Sammartini, composer, dies