- Jan 10 "Common Sense" Pamphlet by Thomas Paine published, advocating American independence
- Mar 9 Adam Smith publishes the influential economics book "The Wealth of Nations"
- Jun 11 Continental Congress creates committee to draft a Declaration of Independence with Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, Benjamin Franklin, Roger Sherman, and Robert R. Livingston as members
- Jul 2 Continental Congress resolves "these United Colonies are and of right ought to be Free and Independent States"
- Jul 4 US Congress proclaims the Declaration of Independence and independence from Great Britain
- Aug 2 Formal signing of the US Declaration of Independence by 56 people (date most accepted by modern historians)
- Sep 9 Congress officially renames the country as the United States of America (from the United Colonies)
- Sep 10 George Washington asks for a spy volunteer, Nathan Hale volunteers
- Nov 16 British troops capture Fort Washington during American Revolution
- Dec 19 Thomas Paine publishes his 1st "American Crisis" essay beginning "These are the times that try men's souls" (date disputed)
- More Historical Events
In a bar decorated with bird tail in Elmsford, New York, a customer requests a glassful of “those cock tails” from bartender Betsy Flanagan
On October 18, 1776