- Jan 8 Battle of Blaauwberg: British forces attack French vassal, the Batavian Republic near Cape Town, modern day South Africa
- Jan 8 Lewis & Clark find skeleton of 105' blue whale in Oregon
- Jan 9 Admiral Viscount Horatio Nelson receives a state funeral and is interred in St Paul's Cathedral, London
- Jan 10 Dutch in Capetown surrender to British
- Jan 12 French evacuate Vienna
- Jan 19 United Kingdom re-occupies the Cape of Good Hope following victory in the Battle of Blaauwberg over French vassal, the Batavian Republic. Establishes British rule in South Africa.
- Jan 30 Prussia takes possession of Hanover
- Jan 30 The original Lower Trenton Toll Bridge, which spans the Delaware River between Morrisville, Pennsylvania and Trenton, New Jersey, is opened. A later bridge opened in 1935 is also known as the Trenton Makes - the World Takes Bridge.
- Feb 11 William Grenville becomes Prime Minister of the United Kingdom following the death of William Pitt the Younger
- Mar 29 Construction is authorized of the Great National Pike, better known as the Cumberland Road, becoming the first United States federal highway
Future US President Andrew Jackson kills Charles Dickinson in a duel after Dickinson accused Jackson's wife of bigamy
On May 30, 1806