- Apr 7 Brazilian Emperor Dom Pedro abdicates, leaving his six-year old son, Dom Pedro II head of state as Prince Imperial
Apr 11 The 12th century Lewis chess pieces are exhibited at the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, shortly after their rediscovery in a sand bank on the Scottish Isle of Lewis
- Apr 14 Soldiers marching on a bridge in Manchester, England, cause it to collapse.
- Apr 4 Edward Cary Walthall, American Brigadier General (Confederate Army), born in Richmond, Virginia (d. 1898)
- Apr 8 Allard Pierson, Dutch theologist, philosopher and art historian, born in Amsterdam (d. 1896)
- Apr 12 Constantin Meunier, Belgian painter and sculptor, born in Etterbeek, Belgium (d. 1905)
- Apr 12 George B. Anderson, American Brigadier General (Confederate Army), born in Hillsborough, North Carolina (d. 1862)