- Mar 1 US Postage stamps showing scenes issued for 1st time. These pictorials showed a post horse and rider, a locomotive, a shield, an eagle and a ship, the Adriatic.
- Mar 6 Dmitri Mendeleev presents the first periodic table of the elements to the Russian Chemical Society
- Apr 9 Hudson Bay Company cedes its territory to Canada
- May 15 National Woman Suffrage Association forms in New York, founded by Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton
- Jul 30 The Charles, considered the world’s first "oil tanker", departs from the United States headed for Europe with a bulk capacity of 7,000 barrels of oil
- Sep 24 Black Friday; Wall St panic after Gould & Fisk attempt to corner gold
- Nov 17 Suez Canal in Egypt opens, linking Mediterranean and Red seas
- Nov 23 The clipper Cutty Sark is launched In Dumbarton, Scotland, one of the last clippers ever built and the only one still surviving
- More Historical Events
- Mar 15 With 10 salaried players, Cincinnati Red Stockings become baseball's first professional team
- May 4 Cincinnati Red Stockings play their 1st official baseball game, a win against the Great Western Base Ball Club, 45-9
- Sep 16 Golf's 1st recorded hole-in-one by Tom Morris at Prestwick's 8th hole, Scotland
World's largest alluvial gold nugget, the Welcome Stranger, found by John Deason and Richard Oates (weighting 97.14kg) in Moliagul, Australia
On February 5, 1869
A strong hurricane known as the Saxby Gale devastates the Bay of Fundy region in Maritime Canada. Incredibly British naval officer Stephen Martin Saxby predicted the storm 10 months earlier in December 1868 via astronomy.
On October 5, 1869