- American civilian Steve Brodie allegedly survives plunge from Brooklyn Bridge (135-feet)
- Arthur Whitten Brown, British aviator (first nonstop airplane crossing of the Atlantic with John W. Alcock), born in Glasgow, Scotland (d. 1948)
- Jan Poortenaar, Dutch painter, etcher and cartoonist, born in Amsterdam (d. 1958)
- Salvador de Madariaga y Rojo, Spanish writer (Englishmen, Frenchmen, Spaniards) and diplomat, born in La Coruña, Spain (d.
- Walter H. Schottky, German physicist (Thermodynamik), born in Zürich, Switzerland (d. 1976)