- Jan 1 1st football game between black colleges-Atlanta U 10, Tuskegee 0
- Jan 8 Michael Eagan wins 1st US national amateur handball championship
- Jan 10 Henrik Ibsen's "John Gabriel Borkman" premieres in Helsingfors
- Jan 10 Vincent d'Indy's "Istar" premieres in Amsterdam & Brussels
- Jan 10 Ukrainian bacteriologist Wademar Haffkine performs the first human trial for a vaccine for the plague on himself during the Bombay epidemic
- Jan 11 M H Cannon becomes 1st woman state senator in US (Utah)
- Jan 14 6,960 m (22,834 ft) Cerro Aconcagua (Argentina) 1st climbed by European expedition led by British mountaineer Edward FitzGerald
- Jan 16 John Dewey's essay "My Pedagogic Creed" appears in School Journal
- Jan 23 Elva Zona Heaster is found dead in Greenbrier County, West Virginia. Resulting murder trial of her husband perhaps only case in US history where the alleged testimony of a ghost helped secure a conviction.
- Jan 26 Battle at Bida Gold Coast: British troops beat Nupe's army
More Historical Events
- Mar 17 British boxer Bob Fitzsimmons KOs American champion 'Gentleman' Jim Corbett in the 14th round to win World Heavyweight title in Carson City, Nevada
- Apr 19 1st Boston Marathon (B.A.A. Road Race), won by John J. McDermott in 2:55:10; the world's oldest annual marathon inspired by success of the first marathon at the 1896 Summer Olympics
Elva Zona Heaster is found dead in Greenbrier County, West Virginia. Resulting murder trial of her husband perhaps only case in US history where the alleged testimony of a ghost helped secure a conviction.
On January 23, 1897