- 1st prize of 100,000 francs offered for communications with extraterrestrials. Martians excluded-considered too easy.
- New Ellis Island Immigration station completed costing $1.5 million
- Pope Leo XIII closes the 'Holy Door' of St Peter's in Rome, ending the Jubilee Year of 1900
- Katina Paxinou, Greek actress (La femme nue), born in Piraeus, Greece (d. 1973)
- Lucijan Marija Škerjajanc, Slovene pianist/composer/conductor/teacher, born in Graz, Austria (d. 1973)
- Mary Cartwright, English mathematician, born in Aynho, United Kingdom (d. 1998)