- 13th Davis Cup: Australasia beats USA in New York (3-2)
A male servant of American architect Frank Lloyd Wright sets fire to the living quarters of the architect's Wisconsin home, Taliesin, murders seven people and burns the living quarters to the ground.
- Japan joins side of allies
- Panama Canal opens (under cost)
- The first large public gathering of Boers in South Africa who do not want to support Britain in a war against Germany; British authorities will try to repress this movement, but discontent spreads
US Secretary of State William Jennings Bryan, in a letter to J P Morgan, Jr., declares that loans to any of the belligerents go against US neutrality
- Peter Nicholson Gunn, Australian writer (The Churches of Rome), born in Sydney, Australia (d. 1995)
- Anatol K Liadov, Russian composer (Baba yaga), dies at 59 [NS=Aug 28]