- Lisandro de la Torre and others found the Democratic Progressist Party (Partido Demócrata Progresista, PDP) at the Hotel Savoy, Buenos Aires.
- Attila Petschauer, Hungarian fencer (Olympic gold 1928, 32), born in Budapest, Austria-Hungary (d. 1943)
- Karl Carstens, German politician (President of the Federal Republic of Germany 1979-84), born in Bremen, German Empire (d. 1992)
- Rosalyn Tureck, American pianist (Bach & Rock), born in Chicago, Illinois (d. 2003)
- Giovanni Sgambati, Italian pianist & composer, dies at 73