- Frank Friday Fletcher is first US admiral to receive Congressional Medal of Honor
Henry Ford's peace ship, Oscar II, sails for Europe 'to get the boys out of the trenches by Christmas'
- Ku Klux Klan receives charter from Fulton County, Georgia
- Panama-Pacific International Exposition closes in San Francisco
- Allan Jackson, newscaster (Youth Takes a Stand), born in Hot Springs, Arkansas
- Fred Freer, cricketer (Australian pace bowler played one Test in 1946)
- Gustav Hollaender, composer, dies at 60