- Frank Friday Fletcher is first US admiral to receive Congressional Medal of Honor
Henry Ford's peace ship, Oscar II, sails for Europe 'to get the boys out of the trenches by Christmas'
- Ku Klux Klan receives charter from Fulton County, Georgia
- Panama-Pacific International Exposition closes in San Francisco
- Allan Jackson, American newscaster (Youth Takes a Stand), born in Hot Springs, Arkansas (d. 1976)
- Fred Freer, Australian cricketer (Australian pace bowler played one Test in 1946), born in North Carlton, Victoria, Australia (d. 1998)
- Gustav Hollaender, composer, dies at 60