- 1st major strike of the Russian "February Revolution" starts at the giant Putilov factory in Petrograd [OS=Feb 18]
- German Foreign Secretary Arthur Zimmermann publicly admits the "Zimmermann Telegram" is genuine. Generates support for the US declaration of war on Germany in April.
- Mexico and the USA renew diplomatic relations
- US Congress passes 1st excess profits tax on corporations
- Bert van Aerschot, Flemish writer (Elevator, Women)
- Sameera Moussa, Egyptian nuclear scientist (d. 1952)