- Jan 27 Lenin placed in Mausoleum in Red Square, Moscow
- May 11 Daimler-Motoren-Gesellschaft and Benz & Cie begin their first joint venture (later merge into Mercedes-Benz)
- Aug 26 The Catastrophe of Smyrna: known as the Asia Minor Catastrophe to Greeks. The Ottoman army expels Greeks and other non-Turks from Asia Minor. (August 13 OS)
- Sep 10 Leopold and Loeb found guilty of the murder of Robert Franks in Chicago in the "the crime of the century"
- Oct 28 Miner M.de Bruin discovers the infant fossil skull, "Taung child" in a lime quarry in Taung, South Africa. Paleoanthropologist Raymond Dart identifies the fossil as a new hominin species, Australopithecus africanus.
- Dec 30 Astronomer Edwin Hubble formally announces existence of other galactic systems at meeting of the American Astronomical Society
The Royal Greenwich Observatory begin broadcasting the hourly time signals known as the Greenwich Time Signal or the "BBC pips".
On February 5, 1924
Mars' closest approach to Earth since 10th century
On August 23, 1924