- 1st appearance of comic strip "Blondie"
- NYC public schools begin teaching Hebrew
- Richard Drew creates Scotch tape
- Emilio Azcarraga Milmo, American Mexican media tycoon (Televisa) , born in San Antonio, Texas (d. 1997)
- Jeannette Altwegg, English figure skater (Olympic gold 1952), born in Bombay, India
- Mario Adorf, German actor (The Tin Drum, Bachelor, Abyssinia), born in Zurich, Switzerland
- Nguyễn Cao Kỳ, Premier of South Vietnam (1965-67), born in Sơn Tây, Indochina (d. 2011)
- Robert W. Firestone, American author and clinical psychologist, born in Brooklyn, New York