- American brothers Hubert and Curtis Stevens beat the 8-nation field to win the 2-man bobsleigh gold medal at the Lake Placid Winter Olympics
As a member of gold medal winning US 4-man bobsleigh team at Lake Placid, Eddie Eagan (boxing gold Antwerp 1920) becomes only Olympian to win gold medals at both summer & winter Games in different sports
- Australia beat South Africa in cricket by an innings in 5 hrs 53 min playing time
- George Burns & Gracie Allen debut as regulars on the "Guy Lombardo Show"
- III Winter Olympic Games close at Lake Placid, New York
- John Van Druten's "There's Always Juliet" premieres in NYC
- Adrian Swire, British aircraft magnate (Cathay Pacific)
- Minnie Maddern Fiske, American actress (Henrik Ibsen's plays), dies at 66