- Jan 28 The name "Pakistan" is coined by Choudhry Rahmat Ali and gradually accepted by Muslims in the Indian sub-continent who use it to push for a separate Muslim homeland in South Asia
- Jan 30 President Paul von Hindenburg appoints Adolf Hitler as Reich Chancellor of Germany who forms a government with Franz von Papen
- Mar 4 Franklin D. Roosevelt inaugurated as 32nd US President, pledges to pull US out of the Depression, "We have nothing to fear but fear itself"
- Mar 9 US Congress is called into special session by FDR, beginning its "100 days"
- Mar 20 Dachau the first Nazi concentration camp, is completed
- Mar 23 Enabling Act: German Reichstag grants Adolf Hitler dictatorial powers
- Jul 14 All non-Nazi parties are banned in Germany
- Aug 7 The Iraqi Government slaughters over 3,000 Assyrians in the village of Sumail. The day becomes known as Assyrian Martyrs Day.
- Sep 12 Leó Szilárd, waiting for a red light on Southampton Row in Bloomsbury, conceives idea of a nuclear chain reaction
- Oct 14 Nazi Germany announces its withdrawal from the League of Nations
- Jan 5 "Cavalcade" based on the play by Noel Coward, directed by Frank Lloyd and starring Diana Wynyard and Clive Brook premieres in New York (Best Production/Picture 1934)
- Mar 2 "King Kong" film directed by Merian C. Cooper and Ernest B. Schoedsack, starring Fay Wray premieres at Radio City Music Hall and RKO Roxy in NYC
- May 27 Walt Disney's short film "3 Little Pigs" released (Academy Award Best Animated film 1934)
- Nov 17 Marx brothers film "Duck Soup" directed by Leo McCarey and starring the Marx Brothers is released in the US
First modern sighting of the Loch Ness Monster by Aldie and John Mackay saw "something resembling a whale"
On May 22, 1933