- Jan 28 The name "Pakistan" is coined by Choudhry Rahmat Ali and gradually accepted by Muslims in the Indian sub-continent who use it to push for a separate Muslim homeland in South Asia
- Jan 30 President Paul von Hindenburg appoints Adolf Hitler as Reich Chancellor of Germany who forms a government with Franz von Papen
- Mar 4 Franklin D. Roosevelt inaugurated as 32nd US President, pledges to pull US out of the Depression, "We have nothing to fear but fear itself"
- Mar 9 US Congress is called into special session by FDR, beginning its "100 days"
- Mar 20 Dachau the first Nazi concentration camp, is completed
- Mar 23 Enabling Act: German Reichstag grants Adolf Hitler dictatorial powers
- Jul 14 All non-Nazi parties are banned in Germany
- Aug 7 The Iraqi Government slaughters over 3,000 Assyrians in the village of Sumail. The day becomes known as Assyrian Martyrs Day.
- Sep 12 Leó Szilárd, waiting for a red light on Southampton Row in Bloomsbury, conceives idea of a nuclear chain reaction
- Oct 14 Nazi Germany announces its withdrawal from the League of Nations
More Historical Events
- Jan 5 "Cavalcade" based on the play by Noel Coward, directed by Frank Lloyd and starring Diana Wynyard and Clive Brook premieres in New York (Best Production/Picture 1934)
- Mar 2 "King Kong" film directed by Merian C. Cooper and Ernest B. Schoedsack, starring Fay Wray premieres at Radio City Music Hall and RKO Roxy in NYC
- May 27 Walt Disney's short film "3 Little Pigs" released (Academy Award Best Animated film 1934)
- Nov 17 Marx brothers film "Duck Soup" directed by Leo McCarey and starring the Marx Brothers is released in the US
- Jul 22 Caterina Jarboro sings "Aida" at the New York Hippodrome, becoming the 1st black female opera singer to perform in the US
- Jan 16 Cricket's Bodyline Tour: Australian batsman Bert Oldfield's skull fractured by delivery bowled by Englishman Harold Larwood during the third test in Adelaide
- Aug 17 MLB player Lou Gehrig plays record 1,308th consecutive game
- Aug 23 1st TV boxing match - Archie Sexton & Laurie Raiteri in London
First modern sighting of the Loch Ness Monster by Aldie and John Mackay saw "something resembling a whale"
On May 22, 1933