- Hungarian physicist Leo Szilard patents the chain-reaction design for the atomic bomb.
- Jordanians revolt in Amsterdam after reduction in employment
- Colin Welland, screenwriter (Chariots of Fire) and actor (Straw Dogs) born in Liverpool, England (d. 2015)
- Hayyim Nahman Bialik, Jewish poet, dies at 61
- Marie Curie, Polish-French scientist who discovered radium (Nobel 1903, 1911), dies at 66
Marie Skłodowska-Curie, French-Polish Physicist/Chemist, 1st woman to win Nobel Prize (1903, 1911) dies at 66 of radiation poisoning