- Feb 26 RADAR (Radio Detection and Ranging) first demonstrated by Robert Watson-Watt
- Mar 16 Adolf Hitler orders German re-armament in violation of The Treaty of Versailles
- Apr 14 Black Sunday: Severe sandstorm ravages the US Midwest, creating the "Dust Bowl"
- May 31 7.7 magnitude earthquake hits Quetta in Balochistan, British Raj (Pakistan) killing an estimated 50,000 people
- Jun 16 US Congress accepts FDR's "New Deal"
- Jul 30 1st Penguin book is published, starting the paperback revolution
- Oct 3 Italy invades Ethiopia, starting the Second Italo-Ethiopian War
- Oct 20 Communist forces end their Long March at Yan'an, in Shaanxi, China, bringing Mao Zedong to prominence
- Nov 22 Flying boat "China Clipper" takes off from Alameda, California, carrying 100,000 pieces of mail on 1st trans-Pacific airmail flight
- Nov 29 Physicist Erwin Schrödinger publishes his famous thought experiment 'Schrödinger's cat', a paradox that illustrates the problem of the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics
- May 24 1st major league night baseball game, in Cincinnati (Reds 2, Phil 1)
- May 25 Track and field athlete Jesse Owens equals or breaks 4 world records in 45 minutes at a Big Ten meet at Ferry Field in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Remembered as "the greatest 45 minutes ever in sport".
- Jun 2 Babe Ruth, 40, announces his retirement as a player
Leonarde Keeler first uses his polygraph machine on criminals later convicted of assault on its findings in Portage, Wisconsin
On February 2, 1935
"Variety" publishes famous headline "Sticks Nix Hick Pix"
On July 17, 1935