- The erroneous word "Dord" is discovered in the Webster's New International Dictionary, Second Edition, prompting an investigation.
- The first issue of Serbian weekly magazine Politikin zabavnik is published.
- Charles Brown, featherweight boxer (Olympic bronze 1964), born in Cincinnati, Ohio
- Charles Gayle, American jazz saxophonist and composer ("Streets"), born in Buffalo, New York (d. 2023)
- John Fahey, American folk singer and guitarist (Transfiguration of Blind Joe Death), born in Washington, D.C. (d. 2001)
- Kamel Lemoui, Algerian soccer defender (7 caps; AS Béziers Hérault) and manager (Algeria 1988-89), born in Batna, Algeria (d. 2022)
- Tommy Tune, American dancer and choreographer (Boyfriend), born in Wichita Falls, Texas
Day of the Week: Tuesday
How Long Ago? 84 years and 7 months
Leap Year: No