- Eddie Mayo (LA-Pacific Coast League), spits in face of umpire Ray Snyder
PGA Championship Men's Golf, Cherry Hills CC: Vic Ghezzi wins his only major title over defending champion Byron Nelson in 38 holes
- World War II: Montenegrins start popular uprising against the Axis Powers (Trinaestojulski ustanak).
- Graeme Corling, Australian cricket fast bowler (1964 England tour)
- Jacques Perrin, French actor (Cinema Paradiso, 317th Platoon) and filmmaker, born in Paris, France
- Lut[guard] Tomsin, actress/director (Knock on the Door)
- Robert Forster [Foster], American actor (Medium Cool, Jackie Brown), born in Rochester, New York (d. 2019)