- 129°F (54°C), Tirat Zevi, Israel (Asian record)
- Seinheuer throws female world record spear (47.24m)
US President Franklin D. Roosevelt and British Prime Minister Winston Churchill arrive in Washington, D.C.
- Henry S. Taylor, American writer
- Marg Margolies-Mezvinsky, (Rep-D-Pennsylvania)
- Togo West Jr., American attorney and public official (3rd Secretary of Veterans Affairs 1998-2000), born in Winston-Salem, North Carolina (d. 2018)
- William Bradford Reynolds, US Assistant Attorney General (1981-88), born in Bridgeport, Connecticut
- Jacqueline Kennedy's mother Janet Bouvier marries Standard Oil heir Hugh Auchincloss