- Jan 13 Hitler declares "Total War"
- Jan 18 Soviets announce they have broken the long siege of Leningrad by Nazi Germany by opening a narrow land corridor, though the siege would not be fully lifted until a year later
- Jan 31 Field Marshal Friedrich Paulus surrenders to Soviet troops at Stalingrad
- Feb 2 German 6th Army surrenders after Battle of Stalingrad in a major turning point in Europe during World War II
- Feb 9 Japanese troops evacuate Guadalcanal, ends epic WWII battle on the Solomon Islands in the Pacific
- Mar 3 Battle of the Bismarck Sea: Australian and American air forces devastate Japanese navy convoy
- Mar 14 World War II: Kraków Ghetto is "liquidated"
- May 12 Axis forces in North Africa surrender
- May 16 Operation Chastise: No. 617 Squadron RAF begins the famous dambusters Raid, bombing the Möhne and Eder dams in the Ruhr valley with bouncing bombs
- Jun 3 A mob of 60 from the Los Angeles Naval Reserve Armory beat up everyone perceived to be Hispanic, starting the week-long Zoot Suit Riots
- Dec 4 Commissioner Landis announces any baseball club may sign Negroes
Bicycle Day - Swiss chemist Dr. Albert Hofmann deliberately takes LSD for the first time.
On April 19, 1943