Adolf Hitler visits field marshal Erich von Manstein's headquarters in Zaporozje, Ukraine and stays until the 19th
- Dow Chemical and Corning Glass Works form a joint venture to explore and produce silicon materials, based off of the work of J. Franklin Hyde
- Dutch churches protest at Seyss-Inquart against persecution of Jews
- Major General Omar Bradley flies to Washington, D.C.
- NY Yankee Joe DiMaggio enlists into the US army
- Armand J. Piron, American jazz violinist and composer, dies at 54
- Konstantin Bogaevsky, Russian painter (b. 1872)