After 3½ days suffering exhaustion, lack of water and shark attacks in the Philippine Sea, the surviving crew of USS Indianapolis are spotted by Wilbur “Chuck” Gwinn, a PV-1 Ventura pilot on a routine sector search. 316 had survived.
- Alex Jesaulenko, Australian rules footballer, born in Salzburg, Austria
- Jewell Jackson McCabe, American feminist and social and political activist who led the National Coalition of 100 Black Women movement in the 1970s, born in Washington, D.C.
- Joanna Cassidy [Joanna Virginia Caskey], American actress (Blade Runner, Under Fire), born in Haddonfield, New Jersey
- John Bowis, British MP (C), born in Brighton, East Sussex
- Emil Nikolaus von Reznicek, Austrian composer (Donna Diana), dies at 85
- Pietro Mascagni, Italian composer (Cavalleria Rusticana), dies at 81