- US Congress passes Marshall Aid Act to rehabilitate war-torn Europe
Al Gore, American politician and environmentalist (Vice President: 1993-2001), born in Washington, D.C.
- David Eisenhower, author and grandson of President Eisenhower (married Julie Nixon), born in West Point, New York
- Gustaaf Van Cauter, Belgian cyclist (world champion 100k team road race), born in Mechelen, Flanders
- Rhea Perlman, American actress (Zena in Taxi, Carla in Cheers), born in Brooklyn, New York
- Thijs van Leer, Dutch singer/flutist (Focus, Introspection)
- Egon Kisch, Austrian-Czech writer and journalist (Raging Reporter), dies at 62