- Jan 5 US President Harry Truman labels his administration the "Fair Deal"
- Jan 25 1st Israeli election won by David Ben-Gurion's Mapai party
- Apr 4 North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) treaty signed in Washington, D.C.
- May 2 Arthur Miller wins Pulitzer Prize for "Death of a Salesman"
- May 23 Federal Republic of [West] Germany created out of the American, British and French occupation zones
- Jun 29 South Africa begins implementing apartheid; no mixed marriages
- Jul 29 Moscow ends the blockade of West Berlin
- Aug 29 USSR performs its first nuclear test at Semipalatinsk, Kazakh SSR
- Sep 14 India's Constituent Assembly adopts Hindi as an official language. Celebrated today as Hindi Day.
- Sep 21 Chinese Communist leaders proclaim the People's Republic of China
- Nov 2 The Netherlands recognizes its former colony Indonesia as a sovereign state
- Dec 27 Queen Juliana of the Netherlands grants independence to Indonesia
More Historical Events
- Jan 31 1st daytime soap on TV "These Are My Children" (NBC in Chicago)
- Sep 2 "The Third Man", directed by Carol Reed, starring Joseph Cotten, Alida Valli and Orson Welles, is released in the United Kingdom (Academy Awards Best Cinematography 1950)
- Sep 15 "Lone Ranger" premieres on ABC-TV. Hi-yo, Silver! Away!
Snowfall 1st recorded in Los Angeles
On January 11, 1949