- Collazo & Torresola attempt to assassinate Harry Truman in Washington, D.C.
The Big Cat, Earl Lloyd becomes the first African-American to play a game in the NBA, scoring 6 points on debut for the Washington Capitols
- Antonio Taguba, US Army Major General, born in Manila, Philippines
- Jane Pauley, American newscaster (Today, NBC Weekend), born in Indianapolis, Indiana
- Jozef Stolorz, polish art painter
- Zaha Hadid, British architect (London Aquatic Centre), born in Baghdad, Iraq (d. 2016)
- Carel T Scharten, Dutch poet and writer (Lost Paradise), dies at 72
- Jozef C Bittremieux, Flemish theologist, dies at 72