- 110th Grand National: race best remembered for Devon Loch's inexplicable fall on final straight, just 40 yards from a certain victory; Dave Dick wins aboard E.S.B.
- 18th NCAA Men's Basketball Championship: San Francisco beats Iowa, 83-71; Dons' back-to-back National titles
- Wales beats France, 5-3 at the National Stadium, Cardiff to clinch their 13th Five Nations Rugby Championship
- Ijaz Faqih, cricketer (Pakistan off-spin all-rounder in 5 Tests 80-88)
- Edmund Taylor Whittaker, British mathematician (applied mathematics and the theory of special functions), dies at 82