- 1st prefrontal lobotomy performed in Washington, D.C.
IBM introduces the RAMAC 305, 1st commercial computer with a hard drive that uses magnetic disk storage, weighs over a ton
Learn More >>
- Kostas Karamanlis, Greek politician (Prime Minister of Greece 2004-09), born in Athens, Greece
- Lefteris Zagoritis, Greek lawyer and politician, born in Rhodes, Greece
- Ray Wilkins, English former footballer and captain of the National Soccer Team, born in Hillingdon, England (d. 2018)
- British playwright (Nobel prize for literature 2005) Harold Pinter (26) marries 1st wife actress Vivien Merchant (27)