- Mass-murderer Jack Gilbert Graham is executed via the Gas Chamber.
- The African Convention is founded in Dakar.
- Bryan Robson, English soccer midfielder, manager (90 caps; Manchester United, WBA, Middlesborough), born in Chester-le-Street, England
- Darryl Dawkins, American basketball center (Philadelphia 76ers, NJ Nets; NBA breaking a backboard rule), born in Orlando, Florida (d. 2015)
- Sir Robert Garran, Australian lawyer and early leading expert in Australian constitutional law (b. 1867)