- Mar 15 Five research groups announce the discovery of anti-matter
- May 9 The Beatles sign their 1st contract with EMI Parlophone
- Oct 5 The Beatles release their first record, "Love Me Do"
- Oct 5 "Dr. No", 1st James Bond film based on the novel by Ian Fleming and starring Sean Connery and Ursula Andress, premieres in London
- Oct 11 Second Vatican Council (21st ecumenical) convened by Pope John XXIII
- Oct 16 Cuban missile crisis begins as JFK is shown photos confirming the presence of Soviet missiles in Cuba
- Oct 18 James Watson (US), Francis Crick (UK) and Maurice Wilkins (UK) win the Nobel Prize for Medicine for their work in determining the structure of DNA
- Oct 22 Cuban missile crisis: US President John F. Kennedy addresses TV about Russian missile bases in Cuba and imposes a naval blockade on Cuba, beginning the missile crisis
- Oct 24 Cuban missile crisis: Soviet ships approach but stop short of the US blockade of Cuba
- Oct 25 US Ambassador to the UN Adlai Stevenson demands USSR UN rep Zorin answer regarding Cuban missile bases saying "I am prepared to wait for my answer until hell freezes over"
Brothers John and Clarence Anglin and fellow inmate Frank Morris escape from Alcatraz Island prison, the only ones to do so
On June 11, 1962
Russian newspaper Izvestia reports baseball is an old Russian game
On February 4, 1962